Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A little about herself...

 (Alternative title:  'Look!  A Squirrel!')



I am a Mom, a Friend, a Partner, a Lover, an Everyday Foodie. I am distracted easily, hence all the squirrel jokes. I love shiny things, and if I wasn't with himself, I would be a crazy cat lady.  I am a woman of varied tastes (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). I'm formerly Italian (thanks 23 and me for ruining that illusion! LOL) and English from my Mom, and my Dad moved here from Nova Scotia when he was a kid, so Canadian, Scottish, German and English on that side. I grew up in New England, moved to Pittsburgh area in High School, then to Lancaster County. A tour in upstate New York, then back to the farmland in South Central PA. I think all this helped shape my tastes.

I love American Wines, Italian Food, Lobstah,and Pissah clams. My chowdah better be thick like cream not thin like milk.  Steak Salad and Pierogies are the bomb. I love Speedies and good pizza. I prefer Dunkin' Donuts to Krispy Kreme, and have a crazy sweet tooth.

I grew up watching Julia Child and the Frugal Gourmet with my Step-Dad and cooking alongside my Dad in the kitchen. Nothing is more amazing than a man who cooks. It is part of what attracted me to Arthur. Well, that and his overall studliness (stop rolling your eyes, right this minute Mr. Man!)

Over the past two years I have been trying to eat healthier and  put better things in my body. I started working out and had the leg cast to prove it! I love taking a traditionally 'bad for you' recipe and giving it a healthier spin. My gluten free brownies are actually pretty tasty, and very rich! Although, to be completely honest, kale  (Gag) still has not won me over no matter how hard I try.

I love the beach, and honestly believe salt air cleans the soul. I try to get there at least once a year, to refresh my selkie self. I love shellfish, but can't get into crabs, unless the work is already done. I can shuck an entire lobster in under 7 minutes. Yet, I am not a huge fresh fish fan.

My favorite website before going into any restaurant is the PA Food Safety Website and I look at the most recent inspection before I go anywhere. I have turned around and not eaten at a place because their inspection was questionable. Here is The Link.

I have a few kitchen gadgets I genuinely love. Pyrex bowls for hand mixing and the Kitchenaid stand mixer for everything else. My Zoodler is just the coolest thing. A really good paring knife (one of the best I found at The Restaurant Store for right around $6) is indispensable. The T-Fal Frying pan... himself found on Amazon after we saw it on America's Test Kitchen. I believe baking is a science, and not something you should do haphazardly. I rarely use a recipe when cooking anything else. 

Wait.... was that a squirrel?



4 comments:

Thank you for commenting! We hope you find our amateur ramblings entertaining and helpful. We might be a bit .... cranky... sometimes in our reviews, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Please understand, spam comments and comments with links will usually be deleted without explanation. Well... besides THIS explanation... lol.