Sunday, September 11, 2016

Freezy Barn, at the Buck




Finishing up these dogs days of summer leads to me think about my favorite summer treat, ice cream! 

Okay... so I like ice cream year round. You really shouldn't be so judgmental. Geez! 

Anyway, before I was interrupted by your judgment, I was TRYING to tell you about a local place we've found. It's called the Freezy Barn, at 35 Friendly Drive in Quarryville (the Musser's Plaza, just down 222 past the Buck). They just celebrated their one year anniversary at this location.

**A quick disclaimer before I tell you about the Freezy Barn , I am impressed by the owner. She helped me catch Orochimaru (aka Skippy) (AKA:  The vicious little rat snake we now have as yet another pet) in a coffee cup.**

Walking into the Freezy Barn, initial impressions are of lightness and cleanliness. They advertise coffee, drinks, light fare, and ice cream. 

They have a huge cow mural on the wall, and the back wall is a real
photograph of trees that takes up the entire wall.  There's lots of natural wood accents.  It isn't my style, but it is very cute and fun (You have to go through the woods to get to the bathroom!). Along the right side wall there are little country gifts you can buy, and nature photography done by the owner. The photography is pretty amazing, she does some outstanding work

We have been there a few times now to get ice cream, and Ice Cream is what I want to talk about in this post, because Ice Cream

I understand one can't talk about ice cream in this end of Lancaster County without mentioning Pine View Dairy. P. V. D. has excellent ice cream and milk products, and before anyone gets up in arms, this post is not a knock on Pine View, it is just to share a viable, excellent 'other' option (that is open on Sundays!)

Sunday Sundaes... Nom Nom Nom. 

I can say the time we decided to review, I had the Cookie Monster ice cream. It is a shockingly blue concoction of super rich, creamy vanilla ice cream with crushed Oreo's and chocolate chip cookie dough in it, and it's very good. I had it with the chocolate chip cone, which I could have done without honestly. My own fault really, every time I get a pretzel cone or cookie cone I am dissatisfied, they always feel stale. In the future I will stick with waffle or sugar cones, because those are fresh and delicious. 

The servings are huge! The prices are fair, and the staff is so friendly (even the teenagers!) This will definitely become a  go-to place for me locally. I look forward to trying their homemade soups, baked goods, and paninis! 


Himself speaking:   The place is nice, cute, eclectic to a degree, and the ice cream is good.  The best ice cream in the county?  No, not really.  Is it good?  Oh... Very good.  Their chocolate is so much richer than PVD's, it's in it's own league.  The Cherry vanilla is a serious win as well.

My opinion, for what it's worth.... Freezy Barn is a cool little local ice cream place, with great people, and good ice cream.  We'll happily be back many times.

Freezy Barn is awarded: 
4.75 out of 5 spoons for flavor 
4.00 out of 5 spoons for atmosphere
4.00 out of 5 spoons for location
4.5 out of 5 spoons for service (the lady helped me catch a snake, for Pete's sake!)

4.3125 spoons overall!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We hope you find our amateur ramblings entertaining and helpful. We might be a bit .... cranky... sometimes in our reviews, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Please understand, spam comments and comments with links will usually be deleted without explanation. Well... besides THIS explanation... lol.