Saturday, February 4, 2017

Just.... do it!




What we see here are traditional Scottish Oat Cakes, that I just invented.  Yeah... I went there.

I believe we should practice the occasional culinary adventurism.  Not just in choosing a restaurant that's outside the 'usual places and cuisines', but in ones own kitchen.  Take chances!  Stare risk in the eye and chuckle at it! Go ahead and put the cinnamon in the BBQ sauce once!  Whats the worst that could happen?

Here's how it worked this morning.  I love the occasional bowl of real oatmeal.  I mean the Irish steel cut oats, simmered for 45 minutes with milk and sugar, stirred till creamy.  Not the stuff in the 'instant oatmeal' packet, but the real deal.   Oatmeal that generations of hard working people began their days with.  Long cooked creamy oats that Grandma got up at 4am, to have on the table at 5:30 OMG o'clock.

This isn't about the oatmeal though.... It's about what happened next.

There's almost always oatmeal left over, and by almost always I mean ALWAYS when I make it. Why, you may ask?  Because oatmeal is a culinary building brick. A healthy one, at that.

So there I was... staring at a pot with 'leftover' steel cut oatmeal, and nowhere else I needed to be. Also, I had no adult supervision (I slept in).  That's how things happen, and stories begin.

This is Himself and I. I am Spock. Any trouble we get into was brought on by him.

Nice creamy chewy chunky steel cut Irish oatmeal....... and it appeared in my mind that I was but a few steps away from having Traditional Scottish Oat Cakes!

Now, is there such a thing as Traditional Scottish Oat Cakes?  I am certain there is.  Is there any chance they resemble what I made this morning?  I am certain they don't.  Do I care?  I'm even more certain about that....

To a cup of still warm old fashioned oatmeal, I added an egg and a 1/4 cup of evaporated milk. Also a half teaspoon of salt, and a tablespoon of sugar.  Stirred till smooth, and then a cup of all purpose flour was added to the bowl.  Followed by a teaspoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of baking powder.  The whole mess was mixed till well combined.

A non-stick fry pan, heated to medium, and a pat of butter rubbed all over... mostly for flavor. Dropped by the spoonful in two increments, three cakes are cooked at a time.  Let them go till the bubbles on top are solid and numerous before flipping, so they are totally GBD (Golden Brown and Delicious).

Serve hot, with butter and a really good maple syrup.

Yeah..... so I made oatmeal pancakes.  SHUT UP!  They are 'Traditional Scottish Oat Cakes, damnit!

The real point is I took a culinary chance and tried something new-to-me.  I could have ended up with something suitable to the leftover pot we keep on the counter to feed our chickens.  On the other hand, I could have been rewarded with deliciousness on a plate.... which is exactly what happened.

Just do it!  Take that chance!  Step out of your comfort zone and push the boundaries a little. Who says beef stew can't be served on English muffins?  What law says steak can't be rubbed down with fresh ground coffee?  Go ahead and pour the tomato vinaigrette on the sticky rice! Where are the food police who will stop you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We hope you find our amateur ramblings entertaining and helpful. We might be a bit .... cranky... sometimes in our reviews, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Please understand, spam comments and comments with links will usually be deleted without explanation. Well... besides THIS explanation... lol.