Friday, December 3, 2021

A pretty good bread pan....

 


Here, a couple loaves fresh from the oven moments ago.  The recipe is a simple enriched white bread.  AP flour, warm water, one egg, a teaspoon of dry yeast, and a pinch of salt.  Combine, knead, give it time to grow happy.

That's the easy part, and I'll probably spend some time writing down why it took me so long to get the easy part right.

Today, lets look at the 'pan' I used to bake this bread. 

Not a classic loaf pan, but one designed with French loaf in mind.   I bought two of these, one for French bread and another for Baguettes.  Surprise surprise... they are the same pan.

Designed to let moisture out while keeping a long skinny loaf in shape, at $20 this thing made all the difference in my French style loaves.

Using a water pan in the oven for steam along with a basic white bread recipe, I get crustier and chewier loaves now. I attribute that to the pan.

Yeah.... this one is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We hope you find our amateur ramblings entertaining and helpful. We might be a bit .... cranky... sometimes in our reviews, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Please understand, spam comments and comments with links will usually be deleted without explanation. Well... besides THIS explanation... lol.